Re: tlug: Java docs, Japanese Java

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>

On Wed, 14 May 1997, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Wasn't all that delicate; no surfer jam, people must have a lot of
> work today.  Anyway, it was a relatively small (170K) shar file.

Stephen, you need to install JDK1.1.1 first and then install
Japanese JDK 1.1.1 over that.  That is, if it is possible to do
it at all with Linux.  However, if it is just the resource
settings, it should be okay.

> guess you can already write Unicode programs, and localized programs,
> in Java---this just gives a Japanese user interface.  I tried it in
> the configuration specified, with the `classes' and `ja' directories
> off $JAVA_HOME, and also off of $JAVA_HOME/lib (which is where
> `classes' lives in JDK1.0.2).  I tried with LANG=ja as in the docs,
> and also with LC_ALL=ja.  No luck.

So, I guess that the basic JDK1.1.1 can produce Japanese application
with no problem and hopefully the JDK1.1.1 Japanese just provides
some Japanese decorations and documents for the development
environment????

On the same subject as yesterday, if anyone gets JDK1.1.1 working,
can you send me a copy of the versions of your relevant libs.
I'm core dumping constantly with kernel2.0.27, jdk1.1.1, libc.so.5.4.23,
ld.so.1.8.10, libXt.so.6.0, libX11.so.6.1, X11.3.2.

Hmm, I think I'll post this on USENET.  This must be a really common
problem.  Or,,,  is it just me???????

Regards,
Craig