Re: tlug: Wnn

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
On Mon, 12 May 1997, Dennis McMurchy wrote:

>   Most Linux books in the vernacular seem very Canna-oriented.  I'm not
> sure why.  Does anyone know?  Anyone seen good comparison of Wnn vs.
> Canna.  I remember Steve saying he thought Wnn was a memory hog.

Dennis,
you noticed this too, huh?   I was wondering about the exact same thing.
I started off with Wnn, moved to Canna, but moved back to Wnn on my
current system when I ran into compilation problems.  I also
had problems using kinput2-canna.  Wnn works fine for me.  I think
it is more sophisticated in lexical parsing than the Win '95 J stuff.
However, if canna is better, I would prefer to learn the better
system.

What is this xim thing?  I have a few files in the Debian-JP distribution,
maybe I'll give it a read.  Interesting thing is that I have xpostit
and xcalendar working with kinput2.  Does this xim thing do the
same thing as kinput2 and use a standard protocol as opposed to the
kinput2 protocol?  I guess kinput2 protocol is non-standard?
I know that Stephen Turnbull brought the xim docs to the last
TLUG meeting, but it was so over my head at the time that I didn't
understand it.  As I get more comfortable with Japanese input, I'm
starting to become more interested in a standard input method for
all programs.

Regards,
Craig