Re: tlug: Wnn

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    Andrew> Could someone please tell me what the current version of
    Andrew> Wnn is? I've been trying to complile up 4.2 without much
    Andrew> luck. I found a reference to Wnn6 at
    Andrew> ftp.wg.omron.co.jp/pub/Wnn/, but it looks like they have
    Andrew> made it into a commercial product. It was actual on
    Andrew> another omron site, which has scrolled of my screen :(

Yep.  Wnn6 is a commercial product, and AFAIK there is no Linux
version even if you wanted to shell out for it.

    Andrew> If 4.2 is the correct one, I give it another try.

It's correct; there will probably never be another free version of
Wnn.  I switched to Canna a long time ago because I never got Wnn to
compile.  I didn't try very hard; I found that Canna did everything I
need it to do.

If you are a Mule user, Quail (a descendant of SKK.el) works quite
well, and it is the only truly multilingual FEP.  (Wnn does do Chinese
and Korean, yes, but those are hard-coded hacks.  Quail is extensible
by design.)

I want my X-I-M ("kanji for nothing and Devangari for free")....
(Apologies to Mark Knoffler.)

There was a post to this list within the last few days referring to an
Imakefile bug; I just trashed my archive of tlug (trying to create a
script to auto tar-czf messages in MH format) so it's gone or I'd get
it for you.  But I would imagine that JE or Debian-JP has precompiled
binaries.  If you decide to use Canna instead, the current version is
at least 3.5b2; *do not* use 3.5b1 because it has a nasty Linux-only
bug that results in your load average going to infinity.  (Well, not
that bad, but it does slow everything down to a crawl.)

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi