Re: tlug: Japanese e-mail

tlug note from "Andrew S. Howell" <andy@example.com>
    Dennis> this is missing out on a good source of info).  I found
    Dennis> that the latest release wouldn't compile properly on my
    Dennis> 2.0.26 system, but that an older version from an archive
    Dennis> CD worked fine (vm-5.92beta-1.tar.gz).  It doesn't use any
    Dennis> special format like RM, so can coexist with Pine or
    Dennis> whatever.  I had to contact the author to find out how to
    Dennis> control the size of the windows it spawned, but other than
    Dennis> that I had no special problems using it with Mule 2.3.  I
    Dennis> think it'll make it a lot easier for me to shift from
    Dennis> Pine+jvim (oh yeah! - actually, I've been trying to wean
    Dennis> myself from vi since 1989!).  Anyone else have any
    Dennis> thoughts or experience with VM?

I'd love to give it a try. Where can I find it? I'm in search of a
better emacs mail. Mew looked good, but it requires MH and for the
life of me, I can't get MH to work under Solaris. MH's inc command
core dumps, but when I try to debug it, I get a strange error from
gdb:

GDB 4.16 (sparc-sun-solaris2.4), Copyright 1996 Free Software
Foundation, Inc...
(gdb) break main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x1861c: file inc.c, line 173.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /apps/mh/6.8.3.jp2c/sun4-55/bin/inc
/proc/00792: Resource temporarily unavailable.
PIOCWSTOP failed

I've been using it under SunOS, but with its pending demise, I'm
moving to Solaris. I'd go fo Linux, but we don't have the hardware at
work.

I've also looked at semi, the next generation of tiny-mime. It works
with rmail under emacs. It seem fine in the little bit that I've
played with it, but rmail just is not as comfortable as MH. Having
said before that I don't like the file-per-message way of doing
things, I may take that back. There is something to be said for being
able to use unix utils directly on your mail files. Though having said
that, the most common thing to do is search, and it sounds like
Glimpse may do the trick for that. I'm just about to compile it up
now.

Regards,

	Andy