Re: tlug: Japanese e-mail

tlug note from Dennis McMurchy <denismcm@example.com>
On Thu, 8 May 1997, Craig Oda wrote:

> The Pine-mule system I am using now would work okay if I could
> change the Content-Type: mime header to indicate proper Japanese
> encoding.

  Hi Craig,

  Unless I'm very mistaken, once I got the character set setting in
Pine sorted out (i.e.: character-set  = iso-2022-jp), the
Content-Type line was no problem.  That is, it reads something like:

when I'm sending out email with no Japanese characters in it, and it
automagically changes the charset specification appropriately when I am
using  Japanese:

  I'm using jvim as the editor inside Pine, but that shouldn't make a
whole lot of difference.

  By the way, has anyone else tried using  the VM mailreader for emacs?
There was a short piece on it in Linux Journal recently (anyone without
a subscription to this is missing out on a good source of info).
I found that the latest release wouldn't compile properly on my 2.0.26
system, but that an older version from an archive CD worked fine
(vm-5.92beta-1.tar.gz).  It doesn't use any special format like RM, so
can coexist with Pine or whatever.  I had to contact the author to
find out how to control the size of the windows it spawned, but other
than that I had no special problems using it with Mule 2.3.  I think it'll
make it a lot easier for me to shift from Pine+jvim (oh yeah! - actually,
I've been trying to wean myself from vi since 1989!).  Anyone else have
any thoughts or experience with VM?

Dennis McMurchy,
Tojinmachi, Fukuoka