Re: tlug: Japanese Email in emacs

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    Tim> I too had been using mh-mail (MH 6.8.JP2c) from within
    Tim> emacs/mule for along time.  But a year or so back changed to
    Tim> using MEW (Message interface to Emacs Window) - very similar
    Tim> to mh-mail, except for some of the kybd mappings :/

That's not hard to fix.  I'm not going to do it now, though....

    Tim> MEW creates an index and is very fast even with very large
    Tim> mailboxes - although takes a little longer to start up and
    Tim> MUCH longer when it is first creating the index(s).

Maybe I'll check it out when I have some time.  Do you happen to know
what its mailbox format is?   I gather it uses file-per-message, but
does it do any other silly stuff?  Eg, MH adds "Forwarded: " and
such-like to the headers to keep track.  That's OK, but if it does too
much stuff (like old Emacs RMail with its complete duplication of the
"keep" headers and other "Babyl format" junk), it loses some of its
usefulness.

    Tim> Sorry I don't know much more about it, I just use it - one of
    Tim> the other guys here set it all up - I think it was written by
    Tim> Kazuhiko Yamamoto in Nara(?), but don't have any URLs, etc.

ftp://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/pub/linux/packages/Mail/mew-0.98.tar.gz

Old, obviously, but it's one place to start.

Ciao.

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi