RE: tlug: EB Reading S/W??

tlug note from jwb@example.com (Jim Breen)
On Apr 21, 10:45pm, "A.Tomita,Jr." wrote:
} Subject: RE: tlug: EB Reading S/W??
>> A.Tomita,Jr. <alberto@example.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have dserver running on a SPARCstation (running SunOS). It serves
>> requests from the clients in its access list.. There is a text-based client
>> to be run in a shell, and a Lisp program that enables dictionary searches
>> from a Emacs window (and it works with the Emacs included in the Linux-JE).
>>
>> One limitation: according to the dserver documentation, it was tested only
>> with the Kenkyusha's J-E/E-J dictionaries and another one that I don't
>> remember now.
>> There is no guarantee it can read other EBs.

I now have the .tar.gz files of 2.1 and 2.2 beta, so I'll try them out.
The two EBs I have are the Kodansha "Great Japanese Dictionary", and
Halpern's NJECD. I've seen those .el scripts in the 2.0 release. I'm not a
mule/emacs person, so I'll have to see if I can get around it.

>> Included with Linux-JE there is also a stand-alone EB reader, "dic". It
>> works
>> in a kanji shell (kterm or kon), but neither dserver nor dic can display
>> "gaiji" characters.

I tried "dic" some time ago, but it seemed to be hard-wired to a SCSI
CDROM, which mine isn't. When I looked there appeared only to be the
binaries.

Those gaiji are an absolute pain. The JIS X 213 proposal might bring a
shred of sanity.

Cheers & thanks

Jim

--
Jim Breen          [$@%8%`!&%V%j!<%s(J@$@%b%J%7%eBg3X(J]
Department of Digital Systems.                  Monash University,