RE: tlug: Fast/Ultra SCSI compatibility

tlug note from James Ellison <jellison@example.com>
On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, [iso-8859-1] Thomas Bätzler wrote:

> tlug note from =?iso-8859-1?Q?Thomas_B=E4tzler?= <tbaetzle@example.com>
> >
> >tlug note from "Francis Brian O'Carroll" <ocarroll@example.com>
>
> >>And what about wide scsi vs normal scsi. I know that there are different
> >>numbers of pins on the cables, but can normal scsi devices be attatched
> >>to wide scsi or ultra wide scsi interfaces, and if so, is there any
> >>downside to doing so?
>
> I'm not too sure about mixing wide and normal SCSI, but normal/ultra and
> normal/fast work fine. In my system, I have two IBM DORS (fast SCSI HD)
> aswell as a Toshiba TM5401 CDROM drive hooked up to an Adaptec 2940U
> host adapter. Linux tells me it talks at 10MB/s with the HDs, but only
> with
> 3MB/s with the CDROM. Still I get the usual 4-5MB/s on reads from the
> HD.

I've an external 8-bit ZIP hanging off an ultra/wide port. Works OK. The
adapter plug (16-bit wide to 8-bit standard) terminates the high 8 bits of
the bus.

      James Ellison          |    Cyber Technologies International K.K.
=============================|      General Manager, Tech Systems Dept.
 jellison@example.com        |  Toranomon Suzuki Bldg, 3-20-4 Toranomon
 tech@example.com            |              Minato-ku, Tokyo 150, Japan
 http://www.cyber.ad.jp      |  Tel:+81-3-3578-4888 Fax:+81-3-3578-4889