Re: tlug: C-Shell Script

tlug note from Paul Gampe <paulg@example.com>
On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Venkatesh RAGHAVAN wrote:

raghavan>--------------------------------------------------------
raghavan>tlug note from Venkatesh RAGHAVAN <raghavan@example.com>
raghavan>--------------------------------------------------------
raghavan>Hello,
raghavan>I am trying to use the 'expr' function in my shell script to calculate
raghavan>to variables. My Shell script statement looks like below;
raghavan>
raghavan>E_COORD=`expr \($E-$W\)\*\)\*\($X-1)\)/$COL+$W`

Hi,

Not sure what you are trying to compute but:

	( $E - $W ) * ) * ( $X - 1 ) ) / $COL + $W

looks like the brackets are misplaced.

Paul.

raghavan>N_COORD=`expr $N-\(\($N-$S\)\*\($Y-1)/$ROWS\)`
raghavan>echo $E_COORD $NCOORD
raghavan>
raghavan>I am getting an error message which says expr:non-numeric expression.
raghavan>Can any one please tell me what is wrong with using the expr function.
raghavan>Thanks in advance
raghavan>-----------------------------------------------------------------
raghavan>a word from the sponsor will appear below
raghavan>-----------------------------------------------------------------
raghavan>The TLUG mailing list is proudly sponsored by TWICS - Japan's First
raghavan>Public-Access Internet System.  Now offering 20,000 yen/year flat
raghavan>rate Internet access with no time charges.  Full line of corporate
raghavan>Internet and intranet products are available.   info@example.com
raghavan>Tel: 03-3351-5977   Fax: 03-3353-6096
raghavan>

mailto:paulg@example.com     phoneto:81-3-3351-5977     faxto:81-3-3353-6096
The students learn that effective action arises out of silence and a clear
sense of being.  In this they find a source of peace.  They  discover that
the person who is down-to-earth can do what needs doing  more  effectively
than the person who is merely busy.  - Lao Tzu's    "Tao Te Ching"   500BC
   PGP fingerprint = EF D8 C9 99 C0 3A 2B 6C  FE 9B 58 BD 19 D3 7C EA
    To get my PGP Key send an e-mail with the subject "get pgp-key"