Re: tlug: Time Sync

tlug note from Paul Gampe <paulg@example.com>

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, joem wrote:

root>--------------------------------------------------------
root>tlug note from joem <root@example.com>
root>--------------------------------------------------------
root>
root>Does anyone have any ideas on how to time-synchronize a Linux
root>box automatically from a known standard, like Universal Time?
root>I've heard that the GPS can be used, but it's expensive.

If you have an internet connection then most probably the most cost
effective way would be to use the NTP (Network Time Protocol) Daemon.

You can get the source code from the home of NTP software at:

	http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/

Also available at this site is the list of publicly accessible clock
servers.  I've recently gone through a NTP network setup so feel free to
contact me.

Cheers,
Paul.

root>
root>Thanks,
root>
root>Joe
root>
root>-----------------------------------------------------------------
root>a word from the sponsor will appear below
root>-----------------------------------------------------------------
root>The TLUG mailing list is proudly sponsored by TWICS - Japan's First
root>Public-Access Internet System.  Now offering 20,000 yen/year flat
root>rate Internet access with no time charges.  Full line of corporate
root>Internet and intranet products are available.   info@example.com
root>Tel: 03-3351-5977   Fax: 03-3353-6096
root>

mailto:paulg@example.com     phoneto:81-3-3351-5977     faxto:81-3-3353-6096
The students learn that effective action arises out of silence and a clear
sense of being.  In this they find a source of peace.  They  discover that
the person who is down-to-earth can do what needs doing  more  effectively
than the person who is merely busy.  - Lao Tzu's    "Tao Te Ching"   500BC
   PGP fingerprint = EF D8 C9 99 C0 3A 2B 6C  FE 9B 58 BD 19 D3 7C EA
    To get my PGP Key send an e-mail with the subject "get pgp-key"