tlug: Mucked up my kterm fonts

tlug note from jwb@example.com (Jim Breen)

This is a faint cry for help. I did something stupid, and I
don't know how to get out of it.

It concerns my home Linux system, on which I run kterm, etc. etc. As
people might know, I use the patched kterm to handle the JIS X 0212
supplementary kanji. At present only a 16x16 font is available, but I
have been experimenting with a 24x24 , er, lent to me by a friend.

I was having trouble getting the new font to work, so I was poking
around with xfontsel. It displays the new font perfectly, but there was
no way I could get it to work with kterm. Pity.

Anyway, in playing with xfontsel late one night, I noticed that I could
get it to scale fonts up and down in a crude sort of way. I did this to
my "normal" JISX0208-1990 16x16 font, with the result that it all looked
rather crude and mis-shapen. Ho, ho. I then shut down and went to bed.

Next day, to my horror, I found the grotesque fonts were still there as
my defaults. I CAN'T MAKE THEM GO AWAY. It appears that my scaling
instructions are still in there somewhere, and every time I start up X
it faithfully reacreates them for me. I can get away from them by
selecting "medium" rather than "default", but for mixed JIS208/212 text,
I'm stuck with them.

I've done all the correct things like getting xfontsel to select the
(kosher) font, highlighting the _select_ box, and selecting the
"default" with Ctrl-Right_Button, but it never works.

The matter has mystified our sysadmins here, who admit to being not up
on Xfont matters. We haven't been able to find where all this scaling
info is held.

Can any of you Linux/X/kterm experts out there make a suggestion? I'm
not desparate enough the do the standard Microsoft thing: reinstall the
lot, but I might be driven to it.

Yours in eternal anticipation....

Jim Breen
jwb@example.com