Re: tlug: emacs and buffer saves

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    Jim> Well, I've decided to *finally* start learning how to use
    Jim> emacs (can

    Jim> This is just a small peeve, but I hope someone can point me
    Jim> in the right direction. My home directory is filling up with
    Jim> files called things like .saves-67-wormhole and
    Jim> test.html~. Is there a way to disable this?

I don't know about the .saves-<pid>-wormhole files; I assume they are
to help with error-recovery and you probably shouldn't touch them.  If
they're still hanging around after a couple of days it should be safe
to delete them, at least if you've restarted Emacs in the interim.
(ps aux | fgrep emacs will tell you the PID of emacs, don't delete
such a file if the PID corresponds to a running Emacs).  I don't know
why they don't get auto-deleted.

For the versioning, here's my

;;; personal preferences
;
;   Saving disk space by setting this to nil is stupid.
;
(setq make-backup-files nil)

should do the trick.  But I don't think it's a good idea unless you're
working under revision control or otherwise have backups; it's always
nice to have that backup file....  Emacs used to allow numeric backups
and backups in a different directory, but I couldn't find any
reference to this using M-X apropos (C-h a doesn't find as many items,
in particular not the variables like make-bacup-files).  Probably C-h
i "backup" will get you all the information you want.

Steve