Re: Wnn / Xwnmo / mule-19.33-delta woes

    Craig> On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
    turnbull> I'd like to hear about anybody's experience with
    turnbull> Wnn/Uum/Xwnmo (especially the last).  As much detail as
    turnbull> possible.  What worked and

    Craig> What is Xwnmo?  About XIM, if this is the correct
    Craig> terminology for the X protocol, then I can use mule Canna
    Craig> under X.

XIM   = X Consortium standard for X clients to communicate with FEPs.
        The current versions of Emacs should allow Japanese (or any
        language) input via any XIM-compliant FEP.
Xwnmo = a "shim" FEP that uses XIM to communicate with Emacs (or
        kterm-6.2 for that matter, and the wnnlib functions to talk to
        jserver, which does the real work.  It is designed to work
        ONLY with Wnn.

The issue then is whether Canna uses a patched Mule/Emacs or if
they've developed an XIM-compliant shim.  I would guess the former,
but Japanese developers often seem to prefer to patch sources rather
than comply with standards, so I won't rule out the latter.  I also
get suspicious when people write stuff like "mule-canna" as it
suggests patching....

What I will do is go check out the Debian and Debian-JP stuff.

Thanks _very much_ for that reference and pointer.  Since I'm on SINET
and communication with non-SINET sites is slow, I've use a Korean site

ftp.kreonet.re.kr:/pub/Linux/debian

which is a full mirror that is relatively fast (I also tried
sunsite.sut.ac.jp and ftp.lab.kdd.co.jp, but they don't have full
Debian mirrors).  That may or may not be useful to anyone else :-)

Steve

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi