Solaris x86, SCO, NT

I just went down to Plat Home and picked up NT 4.0 J for 39,000 yen
for someone in the office.  I also looked at Solaris x86 for
24,800 yen, but didn't buy it.  There was dual Power PC processor
Be Box there ripping away.  I played around with the shell.  It
looks pretty UNIX-like under that nice GUI.  There was also
a 433 mhz Alpha machine there and a real nice dual-processor
Pentium Pro board from Asus there.   Pentium Pro 200 mhz
chips were 98,000 yen each.  There was also the RedHat Sparc
CD-ROM for 6,000 yen.

I came home and ripped open the package for the January Linux
Journal and read an article on Free SCO OpenServer.  This is
amazing that SCO is giving away their product.

I'm pretty happy with Linux on Intel hardware.  Though, I
realize that there are a lot of options available.  Free
SCO OpenServer and Solaris x86 look interesting, but I
wonder if I'll get bored of using a commercial operating
system after a while.

This kind of reflects on my hobbyist interest in Linux.   In
the January version of LJ on page 24 there was a cool article
on making Linux bootable from EPROM.  This is a cool use of
Linux in an embedded system with no hard disk that can withstand
power interruptions.

Well, back to my question.  Does anyone have any experience
with Solaris x86?  Is it worth buying to play with?

Regards,
Craig

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096
Customer Service: 3351-5481   Corporate Sales/Support: 3351-8452