Apache and Java cgi

I'm running Apache 1.1.0 on Linux kernel 2.0.27 with Java
binary support compiled into the kernel.

I can run perl and shell cgi-bin scripts in
/usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin from Netscape.  If I go to the
shell and execute a Java script, it will run:

cow:/usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin# ./newtest.class

cow:/usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin#
-rwxrwxr-x   1 root     root          497 Dec 14 19:45 newtest.class*

Script is very simple:

cow:/usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin# cat newtest.java
import java.util.*;
import java.io.*;

     class newtest {
       public static void main( String args[] )
       {
           System.out.println("Content-type: text/plain");
           System.out.println("");
       }
     }

When I try to call up the cgi-bin I get this error:
Server Error

In my access.conf file I have:

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI

Are there any special procedures or settings that must be
taken care of in order to use Java applications as cgi-bin
programs?

Regards,
Craig