Re: ANNOUNCING CJK 4.1.0 (Chin/Jap/Kor for LaTeX2e) (fwd)

    Dennis>   Hi all, I haven't had a look at this yet, but I'm sure
    Dennis> some of you will be interested.

    Dennis> Dennis McMurchy, Tojinmachi, Fukuoka

    Dennis> From: Werner Lemberg <xlwy01@example.com>
    Dennis> Subject: ANNOUNCING CJK 4.1.0 (Chin/Jap/Kor for LaTeX2e)

I've looked at it.

I may take another look at it, but it looked like a huge investment to
make in a new package when JLaTeX2e under NTT or ASCII JTeX seems to
work OK.  Also, I'm not really sure I like having all language
switches signaled by environments (CJK works by defining environments
in which Oriental character sets are active characters, at least sort
of); it is a step back towards *roff-style text formatting.

On the other hand, both NTT and ASCII JTeXs are kludges which don't
really support LaTeX2e properly (in particular the New Font Selection
System is not fully supported, and you have to work fairly hard to
convince JTeX, at least in the NTT version, that you do have some
fonts which you never intend to use, either by devoting lots of space
to their .tfm files or other hack (these are default, preloaded
fonts).  It would be nice to have a working multilingual TeX that
doesn't depend on massively hacked sources.

If somebody gets it running, I'd really like to hear about it....

Steve

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi