FreeBSD redux

Cleaning up my office, I ran into my *BSD CD-ROM, so I mounted it and
checked some things out.

There's a whole set of directories devoted to a "Linux emulator", so
maybe Linux binaries *will* work, after all.  No bets on whether this
is a better emulation than DOSemu, and there are definitely a lot of
system calls unimplemented; I didn't check closely to see exactly
what's missing.  I know there was some stuff like bdflush() which only
the kernel should care about anyway (mostly), but whether important
stuff (like pipes and stuff) are missing I can't say.

On the other hand, it doesn't look like anything was done to allow
FreeBSD to *live* in a Linux ext2 FS, and I couldn't find any
indication whether it could read/write files there.  So you really are
going to have to make a partition big enough for whatever FreeBSD
system you need for evaluation live in.

This is the Nov. '95 2.1 distribution, so maybe things have changed
since then.  But Jim's version was 2.1.5, so probably not.

Steve

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi