Re: CDROM writer under Linux

In article <Pine.LNX.3.91.961102125043.315A-100000@example.com>,
Dennis McMurchy <denismcm@example.com> wrote:
>  Hi,
>
>  I noticed that this coming Wednesday's meeting of the Berlin LUG is
>going to center on writable CDROM under Linux.  Anyone have pointers
>to any English info on this?

No, but I do it all the time.  :-)  I started with cdwrite (from
Sunsite) and modified it for the drive I've been using.  The command
sets of the drives have been slow to connverge, but with the recent
MMC specification, this problem should go away with the next crop
of drives.  Until then, make sure cdwrite supports your drive or
you have the drive's SCSI command set documentation so that you can
modify it appropriately.

I've been successful copying an ISO9660 image from both an EXT2 file-
system and a raw disk partition.  It is easy to "master" either type
of image with mkisofs.

There is a pretty X front end (xcdroast) which I didn't have any
luck with... but I confess I gave up almost instantly.  Since I
typically just want to burn a directory tree or two, it is easy
to do it from the command line.

Jim

P.S.  Steve,  Did you get your MO drive going?  With their prices
dropping and the low cost of media, they are looking more tempting.

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo  7j1ajh@example.com  <URL:http://shrine.cyber.ad.jp/~jwt/>