Re: Craig's "Rainikkusu" site

    Shige> On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

    Shige> Its modeled after the elegant NextStep OS.  Though based on
    Shige> FVWM 1.24f, it has lots of added features.
    >> Are these "features" useful?

    Shige> Well, drag-and-drop has been added though its not really

For DnD to be really useful, you need to be able to drag an file icon
from the file manager to your mule window and have it open the file in
a sensible window or frame.  That requires a lot of cooperation from
mule.  That's why Windows and the Mac have it, but X doesn't, really,
yet (or soon, IMO).  User interface policy is a wonderful thing ....
I prefer anarchy :-)

    Shige> Umm, I guess I don't know what applets mean.  My meaning is
    Shige> "little applications", not like Java stuff.  I'm refering
    Shige> to trivial programs that replace xclock, xmailbox, biff,
    Shige> etc.

xbiff ain't trivial, not at 4MB total size and 580kB resident :-P (One
suspects I have a configuration problem ;-) But you can make it a lot
nicer by simply adding nicer pixmaps.  Presumably that's what they
actually did, was fix the look-and-feel without changing the
internals.  This is really what my question was, "did they really
reinvent the wheel on all those programs, or did they just put in
nicer icons and pixmaps?"

To me, "applet" means a program that is entirely parasitic on another
program's environment.  So Java applets are parasites on Netscape,
etc.  Your usage isn't bad, just a little confusing in an environment
where people talk about Java a lot.

Unfortunately, X/Motif has already stolen "widget" and "gadget," Java
has dibs on "applet,"  How about "trivlet"?

    Shige> Its more like "FVWM on Cezanne"... right now its just a
    Shige> nice looking WM.

But with great hopes.  OK, I'm giving myself some time for Christmas.
I'll go check out the relevant pages then ;-)

Steve

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi