Re: mule and xjdic

    C> I just found out that I can save kanji into the X buffer and
    C> paste it into xjdic with the middle mouse button.  This is
    C> pretty convenient for reading Japanese documentation and those
    C> occasion nihongo denshi me-ru.  Oh man, I wonder if I can get
    C> it to read Japanese place names and surnames.  Those are big
    C> problems for me.  With the cut and paste I can just suck in the
    C> person's name for the document or e-mail and find out the
    C> yomigana........  at least in theory.

Umm, it ain't just theory.  Jeff Friedl (famous for his online
dictionary at omron) had a perl script running which translated the
NHK/NTT distributed lists of deceased from Hanshin Daishinsai, giving
all the reasonable readings in romaji (for all those interested
parties with internet connections but non-kanji capable machines, like
the 200,000 expats and nikkeijin living in Seattle, WA, whose
consulate's phone calls to the Foreign Ministry honbu were consistly
unable to get through (and on a couple of occasions refused!)).  This
was usually complete and posted on his site before the original
propagated to the mirror sites....

Anyway, you may be able to get that perl script from his site, which
will tell you how to interface to the edict.  Then you'd have to write
some Emacs-LISP, I guess, but you should be able to do it without cut
and paste, just bind a edict-kanji-region-to-romaji function to some
unused keystrokes....

Steve "gee, I wish I had time to work on this" Turnbull

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi