Re: setting up scsi drives and lilo

    Jim> In article <199610030508.OAA00282@example.com>,
    Jim> schweiz@example.com (Jim Schweizer) wrote:
    >> Do I boot the backup Linux on C: to install lilo since the
    >> Linux on /dev/sda1 doesn't recognize (can't see) the IDE drive
    >> (I can manually mount it to /mnt if I need it temporarily.) or
    >> do I mount the IDE drive and install lilo from /dev/sda1 (where
    >> I want the root partition to go.)

    Jim> Since your BIOS does not know about your SCSI hard disk, you
    Jim> will want to install LILO to *boot* (load the kernel from)
    Jim> your IDE drive.  You can specify the *root* device as being
    Jim> on /dev/sda1 if you wish (since the kernel does know how to
    Jim> talk to your SCSI devices).

JT is, of course, right on this, and I was wrong.  (I think I had it
right when I started my message, but I was interrupted and changed my
mind when I wrote the relevant parts.)  Sorry if I caused any
confusion.

This means that both boot.b and the kernel itself must be on
/dev/hda1, I think.  Check it out....  (You probably have copies in
/dev/sda1/:/boot/, but they aren't used.  If you *don't* have copies
of boot.b and the current kernel in use on /dev/hda1, I'll be very
surprised.)

However, I think that I did have it right when I said that if you look
at the lilo.conf that you use every day to boot your upgraded system,
you should just be able to add the new kernel by using appropriate
"image" and "label" directives, copying the "root" directive from the
current kernel's stanza, and leaving the "boot" directive strictly
alone.  Then run /sbin/lilo.

I don't know if I'd trust /sbin/liloconfig or /sbin/setup to do this
right.  Make sure your /etc/lilo.conf is backed up (to
/etc/lilo.conf-worked-correctly-96.10.05, eg!) and check for suspicous
changes in root and boot directives.