Re: donegal fell into hyperspace and can't get up

In article <m0v14bP-00001LC@example.com>, you wrote:
>I'm not sure this is entirely correct; maybe it should be done as an
>alias:
>
>127.0.0.1	donegal	localhost

This came up recently on the Red Hat Rembrandt list and the consensus
was the comment in the /etc/hosts file about not aliasing your machine
to 127.0.0.1 really did break some programs.  I believe talk was the
example they gave.

(It also doesn't extend well as your home network grows. :-)

>    Jim> dynamically assigned IP address during the connection it will
>    Jim> be added to the routing tables (and your machine will become
>    Jim> something like fukuoka37.junk.or.jp in addition to donegal :-).
>
>You should be able to delete the junk address from the routing tables,
>but I forget exactly how.  You want to do this just before you
>connect, I think.

Happens automagically with pppd or diald when the link changes state.

For those that have not discovered it, diald is quite cool.  It will
do dialing on demand, drop the line after a time-out, force the line
up or down based on time of day, etc.  Definitely worth a look if
you haven't checked it out.  http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~schenk/diald.html

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo  7j1ajh@example.com  <URL:http://shrine.cyber.ad.jp/~jwt/>