Re: xearth

In article <Pine.HPP.3.91.960730003917.10539A-100000@example.com>,
"C. Oda" <craig@example.com> wrote:

>I imagine that the graphic tracking display would be pretty easy to
>display as the root window.  Did you ever get it Jim T?

No, but I found an interesting kludge...

>I'm pretty satisfied with xearth because it doesn't distract me too much,
>but yet reminds me when Japan is coming up on the horizon...  (means
>way past bedtime....)  :-)  I'm staring at the Red Hat Software dot
>right now.  I had no idea it was on the East coast.  I wonder if I can
>put the TLUG city there on the screen?

Yes, its easy and even kind of neat.  If you run
  xearth -showmarkers >mymarkers
once, it will dump its internal database to stdout.  Capture it to a
file and edit it to suit.  From then on invoke xearth with:
  xearth -markerfile mymarkers

Now the cool bit.  Every time xearth redraws, it rereads the marker
file.  That means that with a little cron entry dumping the positions
of the satellites into the marker file from an old tracking program
that shows current sub-satellite position, xearth can plot these moving
objects.  Ooooh... neat.  A kludge!

Jim