Re: Redhat Installation

>After 5 failed attempts at installing RedHat 3.0.3 via FTP I gave up and
I'm curious how it failed.  I was envious of your net connectivity
and the ability to just start the process and walk away after every-
thing had be slurped over and magically installed.

>At the last TLUG meeting (when are we meeting again?) I remember that
>Jim demonstrated a rather snazzy graphical installation manager.  How
>do I call this up?

Glint.  Which is written in python.  The version of glint and the
python libs on the 2.1 disc are buggy.  (You may recall my complaints
that RedHat 2.1 "wasn't ready for prime time.")  These can be fixed
by fetching updates from ftp.redhat.com (or ftp.lab.kdd.co.jp in
/Linux/packages/redhat) in the redhat-2.1/updates directory.  Get
at least rpm*,py*, and gl* to get a happy installing life.  (Be
careful, the format of RPMs changed between 2.1 and 3.*...  if
you get "RPM2", you will need to run RPMCONVERT to update your
old database first!)

>I have the rpm command line installer, but I want
>to install a whole load of programs all at once.
The text mode installation script is good if you want to install
*lots* of stuff at once.  The questions it poses are not as "fine-
grained" as the X-based graphical installation.  I've done it both
ways.  I prefer using the text installation to put in the basic
package groups, and then manually using "rpm -ivh package_name"
to put in the rest.  I guess I am still a command line guy at
heart.

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo  7j1ajh@example.com  <URL:http://shrine.cyber.ad.jp/~jwt/>