Re: X Background Diversions?

    Rainer> Hey, hey, now.  Stop that.  Actually because of work I've
    Rainer> had to use Windows 95.

I'm told that there is a free X server for WinUgh95 on www.win95.com
or www.windows.com or www.windows95.com.  I erased that message, but
unfortunately it's not as easy to scrub such unpleasant thoughts from
my own memory.  So you can talk to your favorite Linux apps directly
over a network that way....

Seriously, I've been using my Windows 95 box a lot recently.  For
playing FreeCell and music CDs, that is....  (I'm not capable of
being totally serious.)  Notwithstanding, my feeling is that Win95 is
very close to the usability of Mac OS.  I don't particularly like the
window manager's policies and I definitely don't like MS Office---but
it is efficient in the sense that you can pick it up and do useful
things with it the first day.  15 years after my introduction to TeX I
am now confident that I can do something useful with *any* program
that comes with a decent manual (or even a half-assed man page) on the
first day.  But sometimes it's nice to have idiot-aware software that
does something reasonable no matter what *you* do....

And Win95 seems to be as free from UAEs as MacOS.  (That is what I
hear from colleagues, I haven't tried to do anything demanding like
use Netscape and ping simultaneously on Win95.)

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi