Re: X Background Diversions?

Hey, hey, now.  Stop that.

Actually because of work I've had to use Windows 95.  Ugh!  So, the answer
for your root window picture problem is simple... go to the Control Panel,
select Display, select Background, and then chose the Wallpaper you want to
view.  Hmmm, maybe I've been away from Linux too long.

Anyway, "xv -root -quit filename" works fine.  DO NOT FORGET the "-quit" or
else XV will not quite and will sit there indefinitely using about 2 M of
RAM.  I think ImageMagick's "display" program will also do it but I don't
know the flags.  As for trying to redirect a different programs display to
the root window I'm pretty sure that's impossible if it wasn't supported
when coded.  Some other interesting root pictures are, however:

xfishtank
xfractint
xwasp

Also, I'm not positive, but Xlock might support displaying on the root
window and xlock has a lot of different nifty CPU wasters.