Re: Kernal panic

Hi all,

>(1) Why isn't Linux finding both of your disks?  (As Mark d'Arcy
>    wrote, it's not clear that "D:" isn't MSDOS partition #2 from the
>    way you wrote, but then I don't know swhy Linux doesn't find
>    hda2.)  Note that device 08:01 is probably the factory disk, and
>    unless you have Linux installed there, it won't be able to mount
>    that partition.
>    I think that the 1.3.large_number kernels will tell you which file
>    systems they have tried to mount, which might be useful info.  But
>    you'd need to build one.

Linux setup did find both disks. It gave me the choice of where to install
and I chose the D partition.

>(2) I've had this messsge.  It invariably resulted from using the
>    wrong root partition in the mount option.  I suspect one of the
>    following:
>    (a) you hvaen't fdisked the D: drive

nope, fdisked OK

>    (b) you haven't connected the D: drive with a cable or power
>        supply

power is on - Used to have Ichitaro running off it.

>    (c) you haven't mkfs'd the root partition in the D: drive

Hmmm, ???

>As I understand it, you are doing the following
>- MDSOS or Win95 or other OS on C:, C: is the bootable drive
>- putting Linux on D: (separate hardware)

MS DOS is sitting on C: The additional hard drive is 1.08 GB partitioned
into 512 MB and 570 MB. D: is the 512 partition. BTW, Compaq said I couldn't
install another internal drive, but an engineer friend made a caddy for it
and daisey chained it off the sound card. Winblows, since deleted, had no
problems with it. I'm trying to make this a linux only machine. Once it's
up, MSDOS goes too.

>If you successfully booted the installation floppy, and copied
>slackware to your "D:" drive, try using the parameters "mount
>root=/dev/hdb1" when booting from the installation floppy.

I tried this and now it hangs at:

Partition check:
  sda: sda1
  hda: hda1
UMSDOS Beta 0.6 (compatibility level 0.4, fast msdos)
Mounting root
VFS: Mounted root (umsdos filesystem).

Crashhhhhhhhhhh aaahhhrrgggggg (not really;-)

I'm thinking I should reformat D: or reinstall to C: and try to make D:
available to Linux.

Looks like it's going to be another late night......

Jim

Jim Schweizer                JPS Solutions
Consultant                Education Services
Kunitomi 988-18        Tel/Fax:81-(0)86-272-0019
Okayama, Japan 703   E-mail:schweiz@example.com
URL http://www.harenet.or.jp/personal/schweiz/homepage.htm