RE: Kernal panic

>Hi all,

>It's been awful quiet on this list lately....

>I've been trying to get Slackware 3.0 to run on a Compaq Prolinea 4/33s.
>It's set up with the factory HD as C and a additional HD on D. I've been
>trying to install Linux to D but keep runing into a kernal panic as soon as
>it gets to the partition check. It says:

>Partition check:
>  hda: hda1
>Kernal Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01

Jim:

I finally got my Compaq Deskpro running Linux ( Red Hat 3.0.3 ) smoothly. There
are a number of hurdles I had to
jump. Not sure if you will run into the same problems, but here is some help.

Is your "D:" drive a physically different drive or a partition on the same
physical drive?

Check to insure what device your root partition is on. i.e /dev/hda2  or
/dev/hdb1. You might have to force feed lilo or loadlin
the root directory "root=/dev/hdXX".

Did you format the "D:" as msdos or a Linux file system?

If you can provide a little more information, I might be be able to help you
more.

Regards,

Mark

Mark A. D'Arcy
Electronic Data Systems, Ltd.
C/O General Motors Japan, Ltd.
Yebisu Garden Place Tower, 27th Floor
4-20-3 Ebisu, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150 JAPAN

Tel:  +81-3-5424-2833
Fax: +81-3-5425-2689

E-Mail: ovmail1.kz3g8p@example.com