Re: [berman@example.com: LINUX on Alpha info]

Form: Reply
Header: Adaptec
Text: (12 lines follow)
Craig,
  ISDN remote terminal to your desk machine is doable, but slow.

What confuses me is your term "Internet terminal"  Where can you connect and
get 128K bandwidth in Japan, assuming your ISDN is 2B+d with no backchannel.

You once said Twics is 256K, so to me, that sounds like you and one other
graphics intensive user can be-on line, and your dialup customers are SOL ?

No?  Doshite?

Original text: (39 lines follow)
To: tlug@example.com

On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, Jim Tittsler wrote:

> Platform in Akihabara is selling 233 MHz Alpha AXP PCI33 motherboards
> for Y160,000, with 1MB of cache costing another Y47,800.  A complete
> digital Multia (166 MHz) is Y198,000.  These prices seem reasonably
> competitive with the US.  (Platform also sells Sun and SGI machines,
> but at more Japanese prices.)

I am thinking of upgrading my home system, but the prospect of having
to compile a lot of the apps myself is a little intimidating.  For
home use, wouldn't a 200 MHz Pentium Pro or even a slower
166 Mhz Pentium be better?  I'm
at the point where I'm using Linux now for a lot of things and can't
afford the time it would take to switch to another set of tools.

Also, I'm going to test out the concept of this Internet terminal.
I just ordered ISDN today and hope to run remote X sessions over
400Kbps theoritical (128Kbps real plus hardware compression) and
use my 486 as an X-Terminal with the 166mhz Pentium in the office as the
X-Client.   If that doesn't work out I'm going to have to buy
a new machine.  Realistically, it looks like the 166mhz is the way
to go because  the 200 mhz units are too expensive, unless I wait
until August.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www2.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
over a decade of fostering virtual communities in Japan.
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
   Phone: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096

Previous From: owner-tlug@example.com
Previous To: tlug@example.com