Re: [berman@example.com: LINUX on Alpha info]

On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, Jim Tittsler wrote:

> Platform in Akihabara is selling 233 MHz Alpha AXP PCI33 motherboards
> for Y160,000, with 1MB of cache costing another Y47,800.  A complete
> digital Multia (166 MHz) is Y198,000.  These prices seem reasonably
> competitive with the US.  (Platform also sells Sun and SGI machines,
> but at more Japanese prices.)

I am thinking of upgrading my home system, but the prospect of having
to compile a lot of the apps myself is a little intimidating.  For
home use, wouldn't a 200 MHz Pentium Pro or even a slower
166 Mhz Pentium be better?  I'm
at the point where I'm using Linux now for a lot of things and can't
afford the time it would take to switch to another set of tools.

Also, I'm going to test out the concept of this Internet terminal.
I just ordered ISDN today and hope to run remote X sessions over
400Kbps theoritical (128Kbps real plus hardware compression) and
use my 486 as an X-Terminal with the 166mhz Pentium in the office as the
X-Client.   If that doesn't work out I'm going to have to buy
a new machine.  Realistically, it looks like the 166mhz is the way
to go because  the 200 mhz units are too expensive, unless I wait
until August.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www2.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
over a decade of fostering virtual communities in Japan.
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
   Phone: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096