Re: geo_comp_addr

Craig Oda wrote:

> Hi,
> I can now use the CDROM.  I've run e2fsck on the filesystem and my
> hard disk is still fried.
>
> I keep getting this error from lilo:
>
> geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (1026 > 1023)
>
> I have this in the lilo docs:
>
>    geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (<number> > 1023)
>      Blocks of a file are located beyond the 1024th cylinder of a hard
>     disk. LILO can't access such files, because the BIOS limits cylinder
>     numbers to the range 0...1023. Try moving the file to a different
>     place, preferably a partition that is entirely within the first 1024
>     cylinders of the disk.
>
> Okay, so it looks like I have some stray files, how do I delete the
> sucker?????
>
> I am really hoping that I do not have to reformat my disk.  I would
> be pretty sad...  :-(     Yes Ted, no SCSI means no access to the
> tape drive...   :-(   Hey, any excess stock???  I have PCI and I'll
> test some Adaptec SCSI cards for a long period at no charge!
>
> Anyway, back to my poor hard disk, how do I move the file?
>
> Regards,
> Craig
>
> ----------------------
> Craig Oda       craig@example.com         http://www2.twics.com/~craig
> TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
> over a decade of fostering virtual communities in Japan.
>    TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
>    Phone: 03-3351-5977  Fax: +81-3-3353-6096

I am not sure if this will be of any help but, have you ever looked into
the InfoMagic Linux Quickstart version 2.0 (small booklet that comes
in the CDROM case) para. 10. "Help with large IDE Hard Drives"?  It says
that with drives with more that 1024 cylinders you might have to do some
work with fdisk in order to get the correct disk geometry.

--
// Antonio J. Barros <barros@example.com>
PGP Key fingerprint =  BC 65 0B E6 48 48 AE 95  51 1D 7C D3 0F E4 A6 D7