Re: Linux, Win 95, and Netscape Problems

In article <9603140653.AA00502@example.com>, george@example.com wrote:
>     Hm! This looks promising!...
>
>     I looked at my hard disk's  partition table using fdisk in DOS,
>and it's exactly the same with that of Linux' fdisk. So I toyed around
>a little, deleting and creating the same DOS partition. DOS' dir/w
>still says that I have 1 GB for my DOS/Win 95. Ira-ira ira-ira...

Interesting.  I wonder how you made the partition initially.

MS-DOS 7/Win95 has a quirk.  It writes information in the first
sector of a partition that it will believe over what it finds
in the partition table.  If you use an "oldish" Linux fdisk/cfdisk
that doesn't zero out this sector, you can (and should) do it by
hand with "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda? obs=512 count=1" where
you fill in the ? with the partition number WITH GREAT CARE so
that you don't zap the wrong one.  :-)  I believe the newest
versions of Linux fdisk/cfdisk do it for you, but I'm superstitious
and still do it by hand.  (And still type sync twice, just in case
it didn't hear me the first time. :-)

Of course, using the FDISK supplied with Win95 does it automatically,
so it is a better solution.

Anyway, glad you got it going.