Re: Linux, Win 95, and Netscape Problems

In article <9603111053.AA03059@example.com>, george@example.com wrote:
>     I finally and "successfully" installed both Linux and Win 95 on
>my 1 GB IDE hard disk. BUT, when I'm on DOS window in Win 95 and type
>dir/w to see the available disk space, it says "1 GB" - which can't
>be possible since I partitioned my hard drive so that Win 95 would
>only occupy 500 MB. It's kind of scary because Win 95 might write over

Did you install DoubleSpace (on the fly compression)?  It will claim
to give you about 2X as much space as you *really* have.  If not, it
is not normal.  I have Win95, WinNT, and Linux on my machine.  They
all coexist without problems.  (Although I'm no longer using NTFS,
so I can't check if the Linux HPFS support has the NTFS extensions.)

You might try using fdisk under both DOS and Linux (or cfdisk under
Linux) to see if the partition maps agree.

>2. Linux and Netscape Version 2.0
>
>     After running netscape, I get the following error message when
>running other commands: ( e.g. the ls command )
>
>          ls: can't map 'dev/zero'
>          ls: can't map 'dev/zero'
>          ls: can't load library 'libc.so.5'
>
>How come? I'm just a novice Linux user and I don't really understand
>this message.

You didn't read the Red Hat FAQ.  :-)
You need to make /dev/zero accessible to everyone.  Do:
      chmod 666 /dev/zero

It also sounds like you don't have a version 5 C library (or you
have an ELF one and not the a.out required by Netscape).  There is
an RPM for the required library.  (The rpm will even do an ldconfig
for you, so that it will be immediately recognized after the installation.)

I highly recommend checking the latest Red Hat FAQ from
  http://www.redhat.com/
The one on the CD is obviously out of date... since it had to be done
before the disc was distributed and they could find out what the FAQs
were.  :-)

Jim