Re: Successful Japanese Printing

    Craig> I've been playing around with efax and tried to apply the
    Craig> qfax patches to it but have failed so far.  I'm going to
    Craig> try and get Hylafax (spell?) configured next.  I'm hoping

Hylafax is pretty trivial to configure.  Like, it works out of the
box.  If you want it to be intelligent about The Dinosaur University
phone system, that's a little harder.  But the Linux binaries are
pretty straightforward.  As long as you have a dedicated fax line, I
see no reason for problems (I have trouble dialing out when my
faxgetty is running).  I don't know how well it works with Japanese,
but presumably if you have fax-capable Japanese GS (ie, a GS that
supports a TIFF/F output "device" (actually a file)) you can send
Japanese faxes that way.

    Craig> to do Japanese and English document faxing directly from a
    Craig> centralized server with multi-user spool and send
    Craig> capability.

    Craig> Oh, here is another gs question.  I've noticed that MS Word
    Craig> (sorry guys, I'm not the one using it) prints to a file in
    Craig> PostScript level 3.0.  My version of GhostScript can only
    Craig> handle up to 2.0.  I guess that the new version supports up
    Craig> to level 3.0?

Hell if I know ... I've never seen PS level 3.  I don't think it
exists.  The various EPSF kinds of things are up to 3.0 or beyond, but
the Postscript language itself is only Level 2.  Most of the new PS
operators (at Level 2) seem to be related to color and such; I can't
see why something like MS-Word would be using a standard that isn't
possibly be available to all users yet and doesn't apply to most
wordprocessing tasks.

And by the way, Adobe's Home Page doesn't mention Level 3.
Anywhere....

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi