RE: Java Resources

    Craig> On Sun, 11 Feb 1996, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
    >> Pentium 200 and transmitting them to INet boxes which only need

My brother's project that was going to bring him to Tokyo just got
canceled.  :-( :-(  Therefore I decree that only DEC Alphas can
compile Java quickly.  Support my brother's employer! :-) :-)

    Craig> Well, the applets must be processed by Netscape or I guess
    Craig> on the Internet terminals, there is some type of browser
    Craig> built into firmware with special graphics chips.  However,
    Craig> on a multi-purpose 486 33mhz it takes about 20 seconds to
    Craig> load an applet with a few functions and I have not built
    Craig> anything complex yet.

I bet that that is all Java standard and Netscape interface classes,
and a full-function program would take less than twice as long.  Maybe
hardly any longer.  But 20 secs is an awfully long time if it's a
pop-up like a calculator program.  OTOH, if you throw away the HDD,
you can afford about 32MB of RAM, and if all you're doing with the
terminal is browsing and they fix the congestion problem on popular
sites, you can afford a few TSRs.

This is going to require an economic-technical breakthrough; the
advertisers love the demographic information that gets collected by
Web sites, so third-party mirrors are *not* a solution---they *hate*
third-party mirrors and caches, you see.  On the other hand, I can't
see how you can stop the growth of internal organization caches for
private networks like corporate nets.  You just put it on the proxy
server.  I'm told AOL caches every page requested (violating
copyrights all over the place no doubt, but so does every single copy
of Mosaic(Netscape) in existence).  A pretty problem for the lawyers
to sort out!  Maybe that TSR I mentioned above would violate a
copyright.

So can you imagine a calculator that self-destructs after 20 seconds
when you press the equal sign?  Fortunately noone would be stupid
enough to do such a thing.  Oh s--t, I forgot Bill Gates!

Long live Linux!!!

Steve

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi