Java Dev Applications

Does the JDK on Linux support applications?  I have been able to
compile and use applets, but the applications look more interesting.

I've read the HOWTO and it says that you need Netscape.  Is this
true for applications as well?  I can compile the application, but
I cannot run it with the java translater.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www2.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
over a decade of fostering virtual communities in Japan.
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
   Phone: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096