Re: I'd like to know what hardware is the best for Linux and Windows 95

In article <Pine.3.88.9512302204.A12646-0100000@example.com>,
Norihide Kise <s100234@example.com> wrote:

>I was goning to buy a new computer through a mail order company like
>Gateway 2000, or Dell, but when I saw their price tags, I changed my

I bought a Gateway 2000, because it seemed like by the time I added up
the components I was near their price.  (Admittedly, Taiwan Inc. parts
aren't as cheap here as in the US and my old machines were so old I
couldn't reuse any of their parts.)

>	*RAM - 8MB at least (Should I have EDO RAM?)
EDO isn't necessary at the 75 or 90 MHz level.  You might want it just
to protect your investment for use in your next machine.

>	*Video card - ?
>	*Video memory - 1MB (at least, right?)
I'd suggest at least 2MB.  I like the ATI Mach 64 card I have in one of
the machines in the office.  The ET4000/W32p board I have in my home
machine is a good low price alternative, since it has good "DOS performance"
(i.e. writing directly into the frame buffer is fast, but the accelleration
features are nothing special).

>	*CD-ROM drive - double speed (which manufacture?)
You might consider 4X. Now that the 6X and 8X drives are shipping in
volume, 4X drives have dropped significantly in price.  (Of course,
it also means that 2X drives are really cheap now.)

>	*Expansion slots - ? (PCI?, ISA, VL?)
PCI, without question.  Best choice for the Pentium family, and again
a technology that may be around long enough to be useful in your next
machine.

>	*Monitor - NEC XV 14"
I've been spoiled.  I think 15" is the minimum you should consider,
with 17" being so much nicer that it is tough to recommend anything
smaller.  If you are going to be using a GUI, you need the extra
screen real estate.  I think the monitor is the most dangerous place
to compromise.

Jim