Re: I'd like to know what hardware is the best for Linux and Windows 95

On Sat, 30 Dec 1995, Norihide Kise wrote:

> I was goning to buy a new computer through a mail order company like
> Gateway 2000, or Dell, but when I saw their price tags, I changed my
> mind. I'm currently planning to buy through small mail order companies
> since I can specify each component.
>
> 	*CPU - Pentium 75 or Pentium 90

If you buy a Pentium, the 90 is much better.  The voltage got reduced
from the 90s onward.  IMHO you might want to consider a DX4-100 and
spend the extra money on RAM if you are under a tight budget.

> 	*Cache - ?
> 	*RAM - 8MB at least (Should I have EDO RAM?)

I would try to economize on other parts and get more RAM.  X takes
a minimum of 8 megs of RAM, but really need 12.  If you run J-Server
for Japanese, it will suck up your RAM even more.  If possible, get
16 megs of RAM.

> 	*HD - 850MB or up (Is EIDE ok?)

EIDE is cheaper than SCSI.  With the budget you have allocated, I
would go with 850MB to 1 gig EIDE.

> 	*Video card - ?
> 	*Video memory - 1MB (at least, right?)
> 	*CD-ROM drive - double speed (which manufacture?)

Mitsumi drives are pretty cheap and work.

> 	*Expansion slots - ? (PCI?, ISA, VL?)

I would go PCI and ISA.  There seems to be a lot of stuff for PCI
now and it is fast.

> 	*Power Supply - ?

I think that the standard 250W one should be sufficient.

> 	*Monitor - NEC XV 14"

How much is that?  I notice that the MAG DX-15 is about 30,000 yen
or slightly more.  That extra inch of space comes in handy.

> I usually use my computer to program in assembly, C, and C++ and do some
> database stuff. Also, I play with Linux, no programming is involved.
> Plus, some DOS-based games.

If you are programmer, you will probably start compiling stuff under
Linux pretty soon.  This is another reason, I would recommend getting
more RAM.

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www2.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
over a decade of fostering virtual communities in Japan.
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
   Phone: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096