Re: And as long as I'm here ... some general Linux talk

On Fri, 10 Nov 1995, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> overhead should make the load from 1.4 and 1.5 less than 1.3.  I don't
> use any of the advanced server features yet (I'm not multi-homed :-( ).

Can linux do virtual hosting?   That is, assigning multiple IP addresses
to a single ethernet card?  Now that the newer HTTPDs can handle them, I
was wondering if the OS can as well.

By the way, ELF is great stuff isn't it?  Just did a complete install of
Slackware 2.3 and compiled an ELF kernel.  Just what I needed to run
Postgres95 and pgPerl-1.2.  MSQL and msqlPerl also still work (after a
recompile).

If any of you are looking for a database solution, I suggest taking a look
at postgres95.  Lots of power, but not as big as its older brother
POSTGRES - it is slimmed down and is much faster.  AND -- *AND* -- the
query language is now standard SQL!  (SQL-92, as far as I can tell) MSQL
is great for light stuff, but it is unstable.  Now it is Christmas time
with a powerful *SQL* database I can use in my linux box.  It is also kind
of object oriented.  You can do things like,

	create table person (
		lastname	varchar(80),
		firstname	varchar(80),
		dob		date
	);

	create table employee (
		employee_number	int
	) inherits (person);

I am still just playing with it, but with user defined data-types and
functions, it looks like it is very extensible.  I also compiled with a
patch that is available that allows Japanese searching with regular
expressions.  (input needs to be EUC)

With APIs for PERL, TCL, PYTHON, C , there is a lot of choice as well if
you are developing database applications.

I'll shut up now and get back to playing with postgres.

-- nori

     Andrew N. Nishigaya     |    Cyber Technologies International K.K.
=============================| President/CEO/Unix Guru/Mystic Visionary
 anishi@example.com          |           Otake Bldg. 304, 4-6 Daikyocho
 madjap@example.com |             Shinjuku-Ku, Tokyo Japan 160
 http://metanoia.cyber.ad.jp |  Tel:+81-3-3226-0961 Fax:+81-3-3226-0962