Re: Compiling 1.2.13 with GCC 2.7.0?

In article <Pine.LNX.3.91.950907065533.32202A-100000@example.com>,
Jim Tittsler <jwt@example.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Sep 1995, Craig Oda wrote:
> >
> >      1. Patch the Makefile slightly to use the a.out compiler.  Just
> >         change the CC and LD definitions to be
> >           ___________________________________________________________________
> >           LD      =ld -m i386linux
> >           CC      =gcc -b i486-linuxaout -D__KERNEL__ -I$(TOPDIR)/include
> >           ___________________________________________________________________
> Yes, I have tried that tack without success (either).  I must have some
> incompatible mix of tools/libraries.  Maybe I'll try again on another
> machine and be a bit more rigorous about what I've installed.

Mea culpa!  I had not used the -m switch, but instead had tried
the -F and other format switches.  It seems impolite of ld to
segfault under those conditions.

Anyway, with -m i386linux I can indeed produce a working 1.2.13 kernel
with the 2.7.0/new tools set.  Thank you Craig!

Yes, the amateur radio package is the reason for keeping 1.2.x around.
I've been using my system more recently and just haven't been up to
doing too much version chasing.  The amateur radio networking in the
1.3.x kernel is considerably more flexible than the older 1.1.x/1.2.x
stuff, but still in a state where there are separate DIFFS for each
1.3.x release (9 diff files were released against the 1.3.20 release
for example).

Since I was having trouble compiling 1.2.x though, I did download
1.3.23, so I'll give it a go as well.

I do have a mixed ELF/a.out system now... with the disadvantage of
having both sets of libraries around (and often in memory judging
by the increased memory usage. :-(

Jim