[LINUX:174]

HI,

RE:  Shell script...

Actually, that's a pretty good idea, the -v option...and, yes it should
work just fine.  The reason I put quotes around the $1 was that if you
were trying to kill a name that had spaces (or maybe some other special
characters) the quotes are necessary.  Why would you do this?  Well, maybe
you have more than one of the same process running, but they have different
flags associated with them (when they were run) you could kill just one with

killname "xfishtank -c"

The shell script will take the whole quotes string as the first argument,
but when it got piped to grep grep would get

grep xfishtank -c

where you want it to get

grep "xfishtank -c"

And no, I don't know why you would run more than one xfishtank at the same
time :)

RE:  Tcl/Tk

I have the Addison/Wesley book.  It's not as good as I'd hoped it
would be.  It just leaves me with too many questions of the details it
doesn't mention.  Tcl/Tk has the wonderful function of printing the arguments
to any given command if they are not specifed (or wrong), though.  So when
using wish interactively it can be quite useful.  I end up using the man
pages much more than the manual.
When I'm done with the program I'm working on I'll put it in the linux
archive.  It is very well documented (if I do say so myself :) and should be
a good tool for someone starting out.

RE:  Fvwm

The main reason I went over to fvwm is that I wanted more real estate
on the screen and the virtual manager give me that ability.  I like twm in
general, but it is lacking in a few areas.  If I had a real monitor with
1024X768 or greater then I probably would not have changed, but I only have
640X480 visual and it's easier to hit a key sequence and get a whole new,
clean screen than move the mouse and scroll to a new area that is not even
the size of the whole screen.
Besides, the 3d look is kinda cool and fits in more smoothly with the
3d abilities of Tcl/Tk.

Anyone have any idea why sunsite does not have 1.1.50 on there anymore?
Was it recalled?  A hoax?  What?

Last night I installed XFree 2.1.1 (the Slackware I installed from
only had XFree 2.0 in it).  It works and I haven't found any differences
or improvements yet.  I ran x11perf on 2.0 and 2.1.1 and the results were
almost identical.

Well I'm off to the States tomorrow, be back in 1 1/2 weeks.

Rainer