[LINUX:153]

Re: life with infomagic CD roms

There is so much information on these CD roms that I want to browse through
that html is the only way to go.  After playing around with Mosaic going
into the CD, I was hooked.  Sometimes at the command line I just wanted
to browse directory structure without having to go into X-windows and
wait those 2-3 seconds while Mosaic boots up.  Of course, I could
do the cd /cdrom, but I wanted to read the file descriptions.

I set up an httpd server so I can run Lynx.  The default home page now
has hooks into it to rip through my favorite directories of the
cd-rom.  I can arrange the home page to suit me.  Response is much
faster than with Mosaic.  The text appears almost instantly.

I have the httpd server start up automatically each time I boot by
editing the /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2 file.

I remember JWT saying that he avoided X-windows because of the
small time lag.  Hey, wait no more.  lynx...