Re: [tlug] Text Editor Recommendations?

I have been using vim for command line file editing. I have experience to use vim for large files, more than 100MB, it works fine.

On Wed, Sep 11, 2024 at 5:46 PM Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
> Any recommendations for text editors?  I mainly just need it for text dumps

How big will they get?

I tend to use vscode for just about everything now, and like how it can
handle very large files and still allow scrolling and jumping around
them without slowing down.  However, it has crashed with a 150MB xml
file before, so there is still a limit.

Re "just about", I often use xed when in a bash shell, to edit
configuration files, things like that.

> The built-in (to Ubuntu 24.04.1 LTS) "Text Editor" works fine, but it
> doesn't seem to have a particularly useful feature I like in SciTE - the
> cursor going to the end of the line (the point before a hard return, not
> the displayed part of a wrapped line) when pressing [End].

Just tested and the first End takes you to the end of the visible line,
the wrap point, the second takes you to the proper end of the line.
A quick search didn't find a way to customize that, but that is ideal
for me.

(I see xed just sticks there at the end of the wrapped line, which would
be annoying, wouldn't it.)

Darren

Home | Main Index | Thread Index