Re: [tlug] Today's discovery: ugrep

On Mon, Oct 7, 2024 at 8:46 PM Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
> grep was giving me no hits on a kanji string I knew was in my directory
> tree at least once. Then it dawned: my terminal is in UTF8, but the
> files I'm searching are in UTF-16.

Good catch! But I'll definitely fix that fs naming (rather that switching to UTF-16, LE or BE?), before some other weirdness happens.
I know `convmv -r /` can help detect those and even fix them quite intelligently.

On Mon, Oct 7, 2024 at 11:33 PM David J Iannucci <jlinux@example.com> wrote:
> I discovered ugrep (`apt install ugrep`), which appears to be a drop-
> in replacement that takes care of that for me.

I've seen  that before, maybe even compiled it for a test many moons ago. Will try to give it more love.

But... not packaged in the main tree for Gentoo <grumble/>. Seems odd
for a very old and powerful utility program that is on v6.5 and packaged
for just about every other OS and Linux distro...

I found it in an overlay, tidied it a bit and updated it. If it finds a place on my systems, and I am a heavy grepper (before I switch to Perl one-liners) quite often, I'll push it to the main tree and will proxy maintain it.

Cheers,
Kalin.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index