[tlug] Port forwarding/UPnP in Japan (continued) + IPv6 w/ Biglobe

Hoi tlug,

this is a continuation of thread
"Port forwarding/UPnP in Japan" from October 2023.
Subject of the thread was: solutions for the NTT provided modem/router not
even allowing TCP port forwarding.

What I think came up already in the thread as solution:
users can receive a fiber SFP connector ("小型ONU") from NTT: they terminate
then the fiber from NTT.  Just a handful of routers are 'blessed' though to
house these connectors, no current models were listed.

Just recently I got aware of a further option, which I use now and wanted
also others to be aware of: by default, NTT provides the 'home gateway',
which includes modem and (poor mans-) router functionality.
Upon request, one can get that replaced with a plain modem.  With an own
Linux system connected via rj45 to the modem, one can then run the PPPoE
session to the provider directly on that Linux box - and has the full
functionality (and also responsibility) available.  I'm using an OpenWRT
router behind the modem, works really nicely.
Slightly ashaming I did not search earlier and just figured now - but as
IIRC it was not mentioned in the thread either, this here is the notice
also for others.

Related: Biglobe is my provider ontop of the fiber.  With the router on
OpenWRT, after setting up PPPoE, I instantly had IPv4 connectivity for
the LAN, and IPv6 also on the router.  Just making IPv6 available for the
LAN took longer.  Biglobe is giving out IPs via DHCPv6, but at least for
me they seem to not delegate a whole network like /48 which I could then
have the router assign to devices on the LAN.
The solution I settled with: having the router proxy DHCPv6 requests from
the LAN.  So my devices on the LAN do the requests, the router puts them
through, and the ISP is in my case then providing IPv6 IPs for the LAN
devices.
Another, really really last choice workaround, would have been NAT with
IPv6.  I tried that out, but then got the proxy functionality working.
Anybody else having a provider who directly delegates a v6 network?

cheers,
Christian