Re: [tlug] Openmediavault

Hi Thomas,

Problems:
1, Change the password of ID "admin"
  1.1 Login with root account
  1.2 type in shell under root account: passwd admin
  1.3 This command will change the password of account admin
2, Get an IP address:
  I assume you have valid network hardware and cable connected.
  To get an address, there are several ways:
  2.1 sudo dhclient NET_DEV_NAME
       NET_DEV_NAME could be eth0, eno1, wlan0, enp1s0, or similar, you can check it with the command: ip addr
  2.2 assign an static IP, route and DNS server manually:
      2.2.1 set ip: sudo ip addr add 192.168.1.100/24 dev NET_DEV_NAME
               your IP could be something other than 192.xxx.xxx.xxx
      2.2.2 set default route(gateway): sudo ip route add default via 192.168.1.1 dev NET_DEV_NAME
      2.2.3 set DNS server: sudo vim /etc/resolv.conf, add a line "nameserver 8.8.8.8"
  2.3 use network manager
      nmcli connection add type ethernet ifname NET_DEV_NAME con-name CONNECTION_NAME autoconnect yes
      nmcli connection modify CONNECTION_NAME ipv4.method auto

Regards
Rafael Lee

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 8:41 PM nigel barker <nigel@example.com> wrote:
Hello Thomas,

I had a quick look at the docs and found this:

> First time use:
If you have a screen attached, .... the login screen will display the current IP address assigned for the web interface. Open your browser and type that IP address. The default web interface login credential is admin:openmediavault, the root password is the one you setup during installation.

So what this is saying is that the admin login is for the web interface, which you access from the browser of another computer, like Iain says. The ip address to use in that browser should already be displayed on your server monitor, before logging in. In fact you shouldn't need to log in as root, if all went well. Are you sure no number was displayed before you logged in as root? Try logging out (type "exit").

Nigel

On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 at 19:07, lain. <lain@example.com> wrote:
On 2024年01月11日 18:27, the silly Thomas Blasejewicz claimed to have said:
> ​Good evening
> (I have been a member of this list for years, but usually to not raise my
> hand, because about 99.8% of the discussions
> are unfortunately beyond my capabilities. But now I am stuck and would like
> to ask for help.)
>
> This is for me the first time ever to use this software. In fact my first
> time ever attempt at setting up a server.
> Now, I installed OMV 6.1.0.3 freshly on a 60GB SSD. (Debian based software)
> To do so I followed the installation instructions I found on the net (an
> printed).
> After a while I said: "Installation complete. Reboot".
> Doing so, I got as predicted the black initial screen, where I am supposed
> to login to obtain an IP address.
> However, the default "admin" and "openmediavault" credentials do NOT work.
> (I am told they are wrong)
> I CAN login using "root" plus the PW I setup during installation.
> Yet, I have no idea what I am supposed to do at that prompt.
>
> Net search showed, I should type "ifconfig" to get that IP address, but the
> computer tells me, there is no such command.
> Typing "ip addr" gives me a handfull of information (which I do not
> understand), but no ip address.
>
> Somewhere is was written: "open a browser", but I do not know how to do that
> under these conditions.
>
> Would it be possible to get some (preferably easy) how to move forward with
> the installation and get the thing running?
> Thank you.
> I appreciate any help I can get.
> Thomas

The ifconfig tool got removed from most Linux distributions a couple
years ago.
It's still installable though.
Some distro's like the one I'm using still ships with ifconfig by
default.

When you type "ip addr", you should see things like "1: lo: ", "2:
enp3s0", and so on.
Since you're installing a server, I will assume you won't have a WiFi
interface to worry about.
In each block you should see something like "inet (SOME IP
ADDRESS)/(SOME SUBNET)", that's your IP address.
If you can't see it, then either it means Debian can't recognize your
network card, or you didn't plug in that ethernet cable, or the ethernet
cable is broken.

As for the "open a browser" part, I guess the guide means you should
open it on your PC, not your server.
Unless they explicitely state you should open a browser on your server,
in that case you could give the Lynx browser a try.

--
lain.

Did you know that?
90% of all emails sent on a daily basis are being sent in plain text, and it's super easy to intercept emails as they flow over the internet?
Never send passwords, tokens, personal information, or other volunerable information without proper PGP encryption!

If you're writing your emails unencrypted, please consider sending PGP encrypted emails for security reasons.
You can find my PGP public key at: https://fair.moe/lain.asc

Every good email client is able to send encrypted emails.
If yours can't, then you should consider switching to a secure email client, because yours just sucks.

My recommendations are Claws Mail or NeoMutt.
For instructions on how to encrypt your emails:
https://unixsheikh.com/tutorials/gnupg-tutorial.html

Home | Main Index | Thread Index