Re: [tlug] vi weird when I ssh to one machine

Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
> The output was practically identical. They both open
> "/lib/terminfo/x/xterm-256color", which is just over 3000 bytes on both
> machines. That file is part of the ncurses-base package on both
> machines. Just slightly different versions (the machines are mint 19 and
> 20, aka Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04).

You can try to dump the terminfo entries on both machines using
"infocmp". By default it will dump the entry currently used (set by
$TERM) into source (text) form.  You can compare them easier this way.

You also should be able to compile entries using the "tic" command.
Read its man page for details, including how to override the default
database.

Reference: https://tldp.org/HOWTO/Text-Terminal-HOWTO-16.html

--
Stephen Lee <sl-tlug@example.com>