Re: [tlug] vi weird when I ssh to one machine

Hope you are all okay, not too shaken :-)

> ssh sessions on two machines, and both are:
>
> TERM=xterm-256color
> SHELL=/bin/bash

I had one last stab at this, using `strace vi test` on both machines,
pressing "i", then "ESC" then ":q!"

The output was practically identical. They both open
"/lib/terminfo/x/xterm-256color", which is just over 3000 bytes on both
machines. That file is part of the ncurses-base package on both
machines. Just slightly different versions (the machines are mint 19 and
20, aka Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04).

The working machine writes:
  write(1, "\33[?2-- INSERT --  ____  1,1  ____   All) = 62

(Where I've put ____ is a bunch of spaces, just reformatting for email)

The problem machine writes:
 write(1, "\33[?2004l\33[>4;m", 14*[>4;m)      = 14

Where I've put "*" is 0x0018.

I had the crazy idea this might be a locale thing, it cannot find the
en_GB for "INSERT" ? Turns out it was crazy: I did `sudo
dpkg-reconfigure locales` and chose en_GB. Then when that made no
difference I tried en_US. Which also made no difference.

Ho hum. This might have to wait (a few weeks) until I get a monitor for
this server, and then I can see if the problem only happens over ssh.

Thanks for all the ideas,

Darren

Home | Main Index | Thread Index