Re: [tlug] GW projects

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 at 17:41, Christian Horn <chorn@example.com> wrote:
I plan to try Fedora on Raspi4, and ordered an addon part
for the Raspi4 which should allow HDMI grabbing (idea from
this page:
https://mzyy94.com/blog/2020/04/10/raspberrypi-hdmi-input/ ),

Interesting. What are you going to do with that?

but it is questionable if the hardware arrives in time.

Do you have an rp3, too? I would be very interested to hear from you how the rp4 compares to the rp3 performance wise. I have got an rp3 but found it wanting for the kinds of things I might have done with it. The rp4 looks like it is a serious leap in performance over the rp3.

with the upcoming Golden Week also called
'stay home week', do you have plans to try out/hack together
something Linux or OpenSource related?

I was thinking about building a viscometer and found a YouTube video by some guy in France who had done so using an Arduino as controller for the rpm of the electric motor, measuring the motor current and calculating the torque from those. When the motor is used to drive a spindle or paddle at different rpms within a fluid, the viscosity of the fluid can be deduced from the changes in torque. Unfortunately, the video doesn't give much detail and looking at various forums, it seems to be a somewhat complex undertaking that will likely require a lot more effort than a few days. Meanwhile I found such an instrument listed on Alibaba for 175 USD. So, I am not quite sure I am ready to commit to DIY. I am more interested in the actual instrument than the joy of building one :-)