Re: [tlug] File-sharing

On 2019-06-07 14:37 +0100 (Fri), Schwartz, Fernando G. wrote:

> On 6/7/19 1:32 PM, Stephen Lasseter wrote:
> > On 6/7/19 9:02 PM, Curt Sampson wrote:
> >
> > > What do they offer in terms of backup and failover solutions? If I
>
> > I've never thought of them as a hardware outfit, and I don't think it is
> > what they are known for.  I'm sure you can do better than the offerings
> > on that page.

Dunno why the original version of Stephen Lasseter's message never
arrived in my TLUG inbox, but I'll answer here.

My complaint about the use of 74xx-series parts was a joke. Clearly
some marketing droid just grabbed an image that looked good to him,
not realizing that it showed 1980s computer hardware.

Thanks for the link to <https://github.com/nextcloud/vm>. It was
interesting, though not at all what I'm looking for. (These days I
generally aim for Dockerized solutions that avoid me setting up
another VM or physical host, especially since these are much easier to
move to another host via simple data copies.)

> > But, I've not evaluated it for any HA needs.

I'm not actually looking for HA, in the sense of automatic failover.
I'm looking for the ability to easily pick the thing up and start it
somewhere else.

And on to Fernando's comment:

> A bit of context. ownCloud/NextCloud is a software solution employed at
> "CERN" (Europeans around here might know what that means).

Never heard of this "CERN" thing, but what would a bunch of physicists
know about the Internet and technologies like the web?

cjs
--
Curt J. Sampson      <cjs@example.com>      +81 90 7737 2974

To iterate is human, to recurse divine.